Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Building Muscles--One Brick At A Time


As I started telling about in an earlier post, I've been building a slate walkway from some stones leftover from a construction job site. Well, I've finished! As with so many projects, once you get started, you just have to keep going--in this case until the stones were all used up. And then, the finishing touch was to line the sides with grass sod--and hope for a drenching rain which hasn't come yet.
We have our house up for sale now (great timing, huh?) and have been scurrying around completing projects that should have been finished years ago (Isn't that always the way?). One thing that had been a major eyesore was a stack of bricks--4 feet high and 5 feet deep and wide--and all of it covered with a bright blue tarp. And did I mention that you looked right at it every time you looked out the window at the marsh? Really an enhanced feature to focus on while lauding the wonders of your house on the water.
Anyway, I decided that the time had come to move the stack--brick by brick. But I didn't want it to be a waste of energy while I was doing all that. So I decided to add a brick patio to the walkway I had just built. And here is the finished patio--after 10 days of digging out dirt to form a somewhat smooth surface, moving the brick, placing them and filling in most of the spaces between the bricks. It's not a professional job, but I love it and certainly wish that I had done it years ago. My husband built the adirondack chair years ago and it still sits pretty good so I hauled it over to the new patio and sat myself right down. It's in the shade and I can sit there and look out across the marsh. I'm happy.
What with all of the physical work going on at my house, there hasn't been too much quilting taking place. But I thought I'd share the first three blocks of my t.v./car project for this year. This was a block of the month by Susan Garman for The Quilt Show.com last year called Bouquets For A New Day. I'm doing it with the needleturn applique method and am enjoying it. Hopefully, in the next few days, I'll be doing some actual machine sewing--but first I have to polish all those brass doornobs and vacuum the rugs for the thousandth time. I'm really hoping that someone loves this house really soon!

7 comments:

Corky said...

Judy! That's a wonderful brick patio but you really shouldn't have done it alone. Jerry would have been happy to come help. I wish you'd asked.

Jeanne said...

Hey Judy

great job, I see you and I have something in common. If you want something done, do it yourself why wait for someone else to do what you can do. hard work feels good, and is good for you as long as we don't over do. Which of course I would never think about doing anything like that!! I tore out a whole flower bed of overgrown shrubbery last weekend and filled the front yard with brush to be picked up three feet high.
You should have had someone take your picture sitting and relaxing in that chair., after a job well done. Congratulations.

Judy Heyward said...

Amen, Jeanne! That has always been my philosophy. You need to keep moving in this life--it sounds like you're doing that, too.

Jeanne said...

Judy
If your house sells are you moving to Asheville permanently? Or are you getting another house in the area?
We sure would miss you around here if you move. Your applique blocks are very cool too.

KK said...

I've already heard about how wonderful your house on the marsh is.......sure hate that I had to miss the tour yesterday. The pics of walkway and patio look great - I would never in a thousand years attempted something like that. No upper body strength - which is why I can't manipulate a big quilt under my machine OR hold on to my big dog when he gets excited. Well, I did hold on - but he took me flying and then flat on my face. Still holding on to him...which is why I can't even rotary cut now ..........shoulders and arms are very very sore.

Joyce said...

Love the patio and the new blocks.

Judy Heyward said...

Jeanne--right now we have found an area of Summerville that we like and if it's still available when the house sells, then we'll head there. If there's nothing in the area that we like, then we'll probably head up to the mountains. But FIRST, we need to sell the house.
Karen--We were all sorry that you couldn't be with us yesterday and also that you missed the "tour." You KNOW you can see it anytime. Hope you're feeling MUCH better today.
Joyce--Thanks!