Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Four Years Seems Long Enough

I have FINALLY finished a quilt top that I have been working on for four years (and maybe longer). I always try to have something to work on in the car and in front of the t.v. and this was a project that I started. It came from Red And Green: The Applique Tradition by Jeana Kimball. And I did start out with good intentions. The problem was that I didn't figure out how much fabric I would need ahead of time and--like so many others--I didn't have enough. I spent at least a year trying to find the matching fabric-- so I had to put it aside and work on something else. I finally faced the fact that that fabric was not going to be in my future and started looking for a compatible one. And that took several more months but I did find one I liked and decided that it would work if I made the center and corners the same. But wouldn't you know? I had already appliqued the upper right block onto the other fabric. (fortunately it wasn't a block with LOTS of pieces. So off it came and on it went to the other block. And, of course, there were other mishaps joining the blocks, but I am happy with the result--and hope to get it pinned tomorrow. After waiting four years, the quilt DESERVES to be quilted in less time than that!

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Judy
It is simply beautiful!!
Wow 4 years of applique that is dedication. I would have lost interest. I just must have been ADD and just never told, they didnt have that terminology when I was a kid. They just said I couldnt sit still long enough to get anything done. LOL
So what has changed? Still can't!

Judy Heyward said...

Well . . . .You're kind of a captive audience in the car, Jeanne--and that's where most of this was done. And YOU seem to get a fair amount done AND hold down a job that requires attention. So . . .?

KK said...

Wow - love the new look to your blog. Peonies are so pretty and one flower I really miss since moving to the Lowcountry.

I think your situation of running out of background fabric was serendipitous as I like the movement and interest the two different backgrounds provide.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Karen. I think you're right about the fabric. Also, Peonies are my all time favorite flower and they were at their peak when we were at the Arboretum--along with the rhododendrons.

KK said...

Ahh..rhododendrons........sure makes me homesick for my home state. They were always in full bloom around the campus of WV Wesleyan during finals week. Made the studying even harder to do!