Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Monday, March 15, 2010

The Zen of Fabric Folding

I try to keep my studio neat--I really do. However, life usually takes over and my messy self emerges quite unbidden. Then, I can go along for a while--sort of melting into the stew of my own creation--until, by the inevitable process of osmosis, chaos takes over and the creative spirit seems just beyond my reach. And I become absurdly close to contemplating my navel for inspiration.
What to do, what to do? For me, the simple answer -- in addition to actually cleaning up and vacuuming--is to start refolding the fabric on my shelves. There is something very soothing about the process and as I spent a good part of the weekend sorting and folding, a sense of calmness and preparation began to seep into my pores. These shelves hold mostly batiks and hand-dyes. Everything--especially the hand-dyes--was literally jammed into any available space. As I folded, I came across fabrics that I had forgotten I had and it was like meeting new friends who very much wanted to be included in one of my quilts.
So . . .at last I've stopped the train leading to nowhere and have come to a station that is tranquil and pastoral--filled with beautiful fabric spun, woven and dyed from the extraordinary cotton plant of the mallow family. It beckons me--and I think I'm ready now.

2 comments:

KK said...

Ok - you really should be writing for a major publication. Not only was it beautiful, thoughtful prose but it made me want to go fold my own fabric. First I have to vacuum up all of the threads and "stuff" as Callie Cat has been sampling way too much of it.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Karen. Your remarks mean a lot to me. I'm sorry that Callie Cat has been so busy but at least it serves as an incentive to to the less favorite chores!