Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Age of Reason

My granddaughter Kate celebrated her 18th birthday today.  It made me think back to my own 18th birthday--which was, after all, only yesterday.  Our world is so different now that sometimes I feel as if I'm living on a different planet.  Some things are better, many things are not.  However, I do think that an eighteenth birthday is still special.  It is the official beginning of young adulthood.  College is close and the nest begins to feel a little tight.  My granddaughter is so busy that her family birthday party had to be fitted in at 10:30 this morning.  She had to start early to make the most of her once-in-a-lifetime day!
Anyway, we knew that she really just wanted money (wouldn't we all like a little more?)  But I couldn't stand to just hand her over an envelope.  So I made her a little cosmetic bag.
I saw the project in the latest issue of Stitch magazine.  It appealed to me because every young woman needs something to put her cosmetics in and it so happened that I already had on hand the fusible vinyl that the pattern called for.  I am a pretty experienced stitcher so I really didn't have any problems with the construction; however, I did feel that it could pose a problem for people who depend on graphics to help them to understand the written word.  There was only one illustration for the entire pattern and I thought that there needed to be at least two more.
The other problem was one of my own making.  The iron-on vinyl didn't add as much heft to the bag as I thought it would and I used a batik as the main fabric.  As a result, I ended up with a somewhat flimsy bag. The pattern called for a paper zipper (whatever that is) but I used a regular non-metal one and it worked fine.  I downloaded an embroidery design from Embroidery Library (Paisley Dragonfly Circle) and was very pleased with the way it sewed out.
But I was most pleased with the fact that Kate loved it and immediately used it to stuff all of the money she got for her birthday in it.

No comments: