Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

One Color Quilt Challenge

Our art group just completed a challenge in which we made quilts that used only one color--although we could use as many shades of that color as we wanted.  I chose green as my color (which I JUST read on the internet is considered the color of LOVE.  Hmmm.)
This design came to me as I was waiting for my husband who was in the operating room having a pacemaker implanted.  I couldn't focus on reading anything but the pencil had a mind of its own.  The really weird thing about it was that the quilt design included foundation piecing--which is not something that I would normally choose to do of my own free will.  I have to cut HUGE chunks of fabrics to do foundation piecing because I just don't get it.  I'm always ending up with open spaces in the design because the piece I cut wasn't the right shape--or something.  The solution?  Cut a piece large enough that there's no way it can't work (and even then sometimes I have to rip out and do over).  It's something to do with seeing backwards and my brain just doesn't cooperate.  So, it was quite a surprise when I came up with this design.
At any rate, I finished it and it was fun doing it although I ultimately had to applique fabric on top of some of the foundation pieced fabric because there wasn't enough contrast in my original choices.  Applique on top?  You betcha--no way was I going to rip out more paper piecing and start over,  Uh uh.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Great piece Judy, where is the applique part that you added for contrast? I guess this one is out of your comfort zone with the paper piecing and No applique, well almost no applique. You just couldnt resist could you?? Love it.

Judy Heyward said...

The color that is the darker color in the center, Jeanne. It was originally a lighter color and there just wasn't enough contrast. So, rather than take the entire thing apart, I appliqued the replacements. And yes, it was ought of my comfort zone, Someone asked me if I would publish the pattern. I said, "No, because THEN I would have to write the instructions!"