Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Friday, June 10, 2011

NC Quilt Symposium and A Few of My Favorite Quilts

This past weekend, the NC Quilt Symposium was held at Peace College in Raleigh, NC.  It was the first time that I had attended the Symposium and it was a wonderful experience. 
Part of the Symposium is a Quilt Show by the participants and these are a few of my favorites.  The first one is Neutral Mini Braid by Judy Lilly.  She said that it was a real challenge to work with a gradation of neutral fabrics.  Evidently, the judges felt that she was successful!
 This pineapple quilt, Provence Pineapples, is made by Jane Hall.  She said that it was made from her collection of French fabrics that she had collected on her various trips to France.  Jane was also the co-chairman for the Symposium and always had a smile when people came up to ask her questions about changing classes, how to get somewhere, etc.  And she still had a smile on Sunday after all of that problem solving.
 This is It's About Time by Kim Frisk.  It's one of those quilts that you really have to look at closely to take in everything.  She said that the brownish fabric was rust-dyed and that was the first time that I had seen rust-dyed fabric used in a manner that I really liked.
 I loved the optical illusion of this quilt, Secrets of the Dark Matter by Renate Soltman and quilted by Bethany Pease.  Another one that you need to study for a while to take in all of the elements.
 And Amy Stewart Winssor always makes whimsical quilts and this one is no exception.  Five Thirty A.M.  tells the story of her early morning trip to the school where she teaches.  It's dark when she starts out but the church is full of light when she arrives there.
 I was drawn to this quilt, Puzzle Garden by Katie Greenwood, by the use of color and applique.  Katie took what is a fairly coventional pieced pattern and really jazzed it up with the appliqued flowers and wild colors.  What a happy composition.
 This is All Eyes Are On you by Jane Hamrock.  It is hand appliqued AND hand quilted--something I would not necessarily have expected with such a modern looking piece.  It is quite an eye-catcher.
 On Your Stars and Flowers by Naomi Durkee just caught my eye with its pleasing color palette and the addition of applique to the pieced star.
 And another quilt by Kim Frisk, Shadow E.  She said she started this as a class with David Taylor.  Didn't she do a great job of capturing the curiosity factor inherent in all cats?  And she really did a great job of creating a 3-D effect.
Finally, this is my quilt, Swamp Hibiscus.  Was I in for a surprise!  I won Best of Show---which was more than a little exciting--BUT I also won Viewers Choice.  Now, that was humbling.  A HUGE thank you to each person that voted for my quilt.
It was an amazing weekend.

3 comments:

Corky said...

congrats again on the BOS. I would have voted for yours as well if I'd been there. Looks like it was a great quilt show with some beautiful work.

Tamie said...

Congratulations! I'm not surprised at all. Thanks for sharing a bit of the show with those who couldn't attend.

Judy Heyward said...

I didn't know what to expect at this kind of a quilt show--having never been. Overall, the quilts were really great and I enjoyed looking at them over and over, seeing new details each time. To me, that's one of the good things about going to any kind of quilt show for several days--you have the opportunity to really drink in the details.