Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Birthday Gift

It was my daughter-in-law Kecia's birthday today and we went to their home for a celebratory dinner (chicken wings from Caulder's Pub). I will have to admit that this is the first time I've ever had chicken wings (except as part of a fried chicken dinner). WHERE have I been all my life? Anyway, I enjoyed them. I provided two desserts for the occasion--Lemon Delight and a cheesecake--both homemade. Lemon Delight is the most wonderful dessert. It is made almost entirely of chemicals, has more fat than I probably want to think about--and yet . . .it tastes delicious and light as a feather. How about that for a complete denial of the intrinsic harm in a 2" x 2" square of yellow goop? Yum, Yum.
Anyway, I had ordered her a Cricut font for her present but it didn't get here in time--and I hate to go to a birthday party empty-handed. When I went to Sew'n'Sew's sale on Friday, I bought a Christmas tablerunner pattern. I really liked the picture on the front so I thought I'd go ahead and make it for Kecia as a "take-along" gift. It did turn out nicely but I would have to say that this pattern wasn't the easiest in the world to follow. We had a program at our guild on Thursday which was presented by a pattern maker and one thing she said was that she wrote her patterns from the perspective of reaching the level of EVERYONE. And that is how I hope I write my patterns. I think that someone without a lot of experience would have had a very difficult time with this one. The bottom line is that I did get it finished in time and Kecia liked it--so that was the main thing. I want to make one for myself but I think I'll wait a while before tackling it again.

3 comments:

KK said...

hmm... I think I have that pattern and maybe another one by the same designer. Glad for the heads up.

BUT...you bought the pattern on Friday and had the present ready to gift on SATURDAY?? THE NEXT DAY? I give up!!! You win the prize.

Corky said...

Will you be my mother-in-law? You do really cool things for birthdays!

Judy Heyward said...

No, Karen--I didn't have it ready until SUNDAY--two days. And who are you to talk who got so much done in North Carolina this past weekend!