Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What WAS I thinking?


In an earlier post I showed a photo of a quilt top that I had just finished. I wasn't happy with the color of the red--it just seemed too heavy on the pink side of the spectrum. So I dithered and discussed options with some of the TTT gang and finally decided to go the RIT dye route. I bought a bottle of Tan Liquid and followed the directions. Put the dye in the washing machine, agitated it, added the wet quilt top, etc). And, well, I was happy with the color. It tinted the quilt enough to tone everything down.
A great result, you say? Unfortunately, no. It seems that the fabric that I used for the red squares had a propensity of returning to its pre-fabric state--that is to say it raveled and turned into threads. When I took it out of the dryer I had MANY frayed seams. I spent hours trying to salvage the quilt top (I have a hard time giving up on a project). Well, I did get the seams repaired but I know they're not very strong and I'm not sure how well it will hold up over time. So the top will go into a drawer until a finer day comes along and I get a new idea about what to do with it.
It was suggested to me that perhaps I should have put the quilt top in a large container with the dye, stirred it occasionally, gently hand rinsed and then hung it out to dry. I think that is an excellent suggestion and if I should ever be stupid enough to try this dyeing thing again, that is exactly what I will do. Live and learn.
On a lighter, gentler note: I went to a funeral this afternoon for a 91 year old friend who was a remarkable man. In spite of many physical afflictions (including macular degeneration), he lived his life to the fullest--including going out to lunch with my husband just this past Thursday. Among the things he loved was music and he had a collection of over 1,000 cd's. His funeral was held in an Episcopal church and was a traditional service; however, it had a couple of twists that were somewhat unusual. Before the service began, in place of the regular pre-funeral prelude type of music, the pianist played an assortment of 40's & 50's (and maybe some 30's) showtunes and several lively gospel tunes, ending up with a rousing rendition of "When the Saints Come Marching In." It captured his spirit so well and everyone was nodding their head or tapping their feet to the beat. And then, the homily was mainly one long punchline that captured the humor and intellect of this wonderful man. His children were in the front pew and added to it as it went. I think that everyone came away from the service with a sense of a life well-lived and a sending off that was defintely a bang--not a whimper. Way to go Gaynor!

6 comments:

Corky said...

For years my mother has stressed that she wants Pete Fountain music played at her funeral. No sedate hymns for her!

Judy Heyward said...

That wouldn't be bad--Kind of mellow, isn't he?

KK said...

I love it when a funeral/memorial service is a celebration of a life well lived and a joyful procession into the next life.

Judy Heyward said...

Me, too.

Jeanne said...

Sorry to hear about the problems with your quilt top. I bet you are thinking now I should have left well enough alone. In pictures I thought it looked great, maybe the actual colors looked different, but Live and learn as they say.
So glad to hear that Gaynor went out in his own style and grandeur. At 90 he deserves to that type of a tribute.

Judy Heyward said...

It seems there are a LOT of "Live and Learn" lessons. Hopefully, we fulfill the "Learn" part.