Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Whither Goest Thou Finished--Finally!



It seems that I have been working on Whither Goest Thou? for ages and ages. I kept running out of quilting thread and would have to reorder or something else would come up and I would have to stop for a while. But, at last, it is finished. This is an original design and is a little more traditional than my usual style. It has a combination of quilting cottons and batiks and it is quilted with whatever threads seemed to go best for a particular area. I have been pretty consistently using The Bottom Line thread by Superior for use in the bobbin. This has really made a difference with my Juki sewing machine. And for those of you who don't already know, I do all of my quilting on a regular domestic sit down sewing machine. The size of this quilt is 75" x 75". And here is the back of the quilt. The red fabric at the top is the hanging sleeve. The back is made up of fabrics that were used on the front. This is something I have begun to enjoy doing if there is enough fabric left after I finish the top and I think it add a little additional pizazz. Interestingly enough, the judges commented on the back of my quilt at the Mid-Atlantic, saying that the way I did the back contributed to their selection of my quilt, Swamp Hibiscus, for Best Use of Color. That was a new one on me.
So, anyway, this one is done and now it's on to the next. I have a drawing started for a larger quilt but I think I will do a couple of smaller projects before I tackle something more complex--sort of clearing the mind so to speak.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Judy

Congratulations on finishing this masterpiece. It looks wonderful, I clicked to enlarge to see the quiting, some of it shows up but not all, what I can see is great as usual. So where will this one be entered first? Any going to Vermont this year?

Corky said...

can't wait to see this on in person. As always, a beautiful quilt.

Judy Heyward said...

Sorry about the fuzzy picture, folks. I have taken and retaken this photo several times--with different settings and hubby's assistance and we just can't seem to get it right. I'm hoping it's not the camera itself--we'll see, I guess/

Vicki said...

love the quilt. it is great as usual.