Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Finishing Touch

The final thing in my studio that needed to be done was to replace the formica covering for the top of the worktable.
As you can see, the large sheet of formica arrived and is ready to install.  It is 5 feet wide--a foot wider than standard.  We ordered extra length so the trim on the end of the table could be replaced, also.
 Smokey's first task was to cut off the overhanging section.  I looked up on the internet for instructions on how to do it but he decided that a saber saw was the way to go--and it worked perfectly.  The problem about cutting formica is that it's brittle and can easily chip off and leave an uneven surface.
 The next day, our neighbor Anthony came over to help with the actual installation.  The top of the table and the wrong side of the formica are slathered with adhesive and set aside to "cure."  Then removable sticks are laid down the entire table top.  This is to prevent the formica from touching its surface.  The adhesive is sort of like super glue and of the two surfaces were to make contact with each other when in the wrong position, it would be somewhat of a disaster because they would be STUCK.
 So, here are Anthony and Smokey laying the formica out over the table, resting on the wooden stakes.
And here they are starting to roll the formica where they want it to touch the tabletop.  As they rolled, they carefully removed the sticks as they went along.  They rolled and rolled and rolled so there would be no air bubbles that could lead to separation of the two surfaces.
 At this point, they've removed all the sticks, the laminate is in place and they're rolling some more.
 This is what the roller looks like.
 Next they used a router with a special bit to trim off all of the overhang along the edges.  Anythony's holding the vacuum up to it to catch some of the sawdust.  It actually did a pretty good job (of course I may find some later when I go through my fabric!  But that can be washed.).
And here is the final, finished table top.  I'll have to say, they did a better job than the man who installed the original top.  And now, I guess I've run out of excuses about getting back to work.  Hi ho, Hi ho.

No comments: