Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Yes, I'm Still Alive And Kicking!

A lot has happened in the last two months.  And it's been pretty intense.  As many of you know, we have moved back and forth from the mountains to the sea a couple of times in the last couple of years.  When we moved back to Charleston, we said, "This is it.  We just don't have another move in us."
Well, little did I know!  Our house in the mountains hadn't sold--and most likely wasn't going to sell in the near future  (or who knows when given this economy).  So, we had more or less decided that we would list both of our houses and live in the one that didn't sell.
Wouldn't you know?  As soon as we made that decision, someone called up and offered to buy our house in Charleston (before we even put it back on the market).
And not only did they want to buy it, they wanted to move in right away.  WE packed and packed and packed, rented a truck to bring many of the boxes to the mountains before the movers came, took lots and lots of stuff to Goodwill and sold more things on Craig's List.
Given the speed and our age, the move went exceedingly well.  The movers didn't break anything and they were nice and polite--and worked.  Thanks to Craig's List, everything I have left fits nicely into my smaller space.  There is still much to do, but I'm beginning to sew.
 A few comments on the pictures.  We were able to get my large table out of my old studio and into the new one.  We did have to throw away the formica covering on the top, but a new piece is on order and we'll install it as soon as it arrives.  I sold two of my sewing cabinets (to a VERY nice woman in Summerville) and two of my machines and that opened up a good bit of space. 
Lighting has been an issue in this space.  You can see the overhead light in Picture #1 and the nice flourescent that my husband replaced it with in Picture #4.  It has made the world of difference and he will also be replacing the old flourescents with newer, brighter models.
 Also, a comment on Craig's list.  I think I was able to sell my sewing-related items for a higher price than I could have gotten on eBay.  Perhaps people prefer being able to come see the actual items in person instead of relying on a photo from an unknown person in another state and then adding shipping costs on top of it.  I really enjoyed meeting these people but I made sure that I wasn't home alone when they came.
We also sold some furniture and although we didn't get what it was worth really, it saved the headache of having to deal with it in the midst of a move.  All in all, for us, Craig's List was a good experience but I think that listing sewing related items are less likely to draw an unwanted response than other items.
And this is the piece that I am finally getting back to work on--a Lenten Rose.  I'm in the process now of anchoring down the fusible applique.  And, in spite of some bumps in the road,  this is feeling like home.  I surely miss my friends in Charleston--I have been blessed to be part of a wonderful art group there and have also known other quilters there for quite some time.  They are all special people in my life and I know that they'll continue to be so.
So, here I am--alive and kicking.  I hope everyone is doing well.

9 comments:

Jeanne said...

Judy

I am so happy to see that you are all settled in and getting to work once again. I know this has been a whirlwind of events for you and seems it all happened pretty quick as well. Your studio looks fantastic and I love the big flower you are working on. Hope to see you next month at QSC!

Judy Heyward said...

I'll be there!

Paige said...

Judy, Oh my, I had no idea. Glad to see you are getting settled. I was working on something the other day and wanted your advice and thought, I could just ride right up the road and ask Judy...but then I remembered you were in back in the lowcountry. I'm so glad you are right up the road again. UpCounty's quilt show is Oct 28th and 29th. So come on down to Pickens.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks for the invite. I'll certainly try to come. O.K., so now you can just ride on up the road!

Robin in WNC said...

I had been wondering what happened to you, glad to know it was only moving. Back in the Mountains how great for us up here. Be sure to visit the Foothills Show Oct 7,8,9. I have only my challenge piece in there but would like to know what you think. See you at QSC in October.

Anonymous said...

Judy, great to see your studio up and running! Miss you here in the lowcountry, but know we will keep in touch. See you soon. Dotty

Maureen said...

Wishing you many happy days in your mountain home. We will miss seeing you but are pleased the house is sold and you are beginning to settle in.
Maureen

Virginia Schrenker said...

I'm glad the move went well and that your sewing room is finally finished. I know I will miss you, but I think this is where you need to be. Much luck.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks to everyone who has wished me well in my relocation to Hendersonville. It means a lot.