Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Note On Posters

I have been asked by several people about the photographs that I use for some of my art quilts.  They look at the photo that I use for my pattern and wonder where I had it blown up (I recently did find out that some Fed Ex --used to be Kinko's--offices can blow up a photo to quite a large size).
However, I do the job at home and have been quite satisfied with the result.
Most printers today have a "Poster" function.  Some can print out a picture on (16) 8 1/2" x 11" sheets of paper.  My particular printer will go up to 25 sheets.  You will find this function under Preferences in your printer menu.  And I recently read an article in the February 2011 issue of The Quilt Life that show you how to go even bigger in Excel (although the directions weren't for my version of the software and I had to figure out how to convert it).  So here you see my photo
printed out on 25 sheets of paper.  You then have to trim off the appropriate edges and and glue the trimmed pictures together (you could also use scotchtape--but using a stick of glue is better).
And voila--here is my finished photo which now measures 37" x 50".  I printed it out on the "Best" setting and was really amazed at the quality of the resolution.  Someday it will be a quilt but, for now, I'm just going to enjoy looking at it.

1 comment:

BarbR said...

Thanks for the great information. I often wondered how to get a photo large enough to make a black line for the quilt templates. Hope I don't need a new printer. Mine is pretty old. =!=