Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Let There Be Peace On Earth--And Let It Begin With Each Of Us

The day after Thanksgiving, my sister-in-law, niece and I went to a craft/gift show in Virginia Beach, Virginia.  I used to be a production potter and went to many craft shows throughout the years and, as a result, haven't been to many of them in recent times.  This year, it was the choice of sitting around all day, going to the mall or the craft show.  And I'm very glad we made the choice we did.
Why?  Well, for several reasons.  First of all, it's kind of fun--if you go at a time when the crowds aren't so great i.e. at the very beginning of the day or at the end of the day.  The other thing is to head to the left as you enter because most people go to the right.  We followed both of these rules and it was very pleasant until we got just about to the end of our time there and hit all of the people turning to the right two hours after the show had opened.
Anyway, another very good reason to go to a craft show is that you are pretty much guaranteed to encounter products made in America.  AND, if you're lucky and friendly, you'll get the back story behind the individual crafts that you encounter.  (In case you're wondering at this point what the back story is on the quilt at the top, I'll get to it pretty soon)
I used to be a potter--as I said--and as such, I always look at pots when I'm in a gallery or craft show.  These days, I'm pretty horrified at the prices (and am perhaps jealous that my prices never got that high!).  There were several potters at the show and, I'll have to say, all of there prices were more reasonable than most BUT a lower price doesn't necessarily mean a desirable pot.  But then I came to a booth where the pots just drew me in.  I picked up a mug, the price was good and, more importantly, it felt good in the hand.  I was sold.  Now, one of the benefits of buying at a craft show is that you meet the maker and what he or she says becomes part of the vessel that you purchase.  And what a nice young man--I think more or less just getting started and very enthusiastic about making pots. (He also showed me how to use The Square to charge purchases).  So now, my morning cup of coffee is more than just a cup of coffee--I'm back at that show and thinking about the back story.
I also bought a small hand-carved gourd that is so beautiful.  The young man in that booth told me that he was from Peru and that his father, grandfather and great-grandfather had all carved gourds.  Another back story.
Now to the quilt above.  While we were walking the show, my sister-in-law spied a quilt hanging up that was made from a Christmas panel--nothing fancy--nothing to mark the maker as a quilter.  Just a product.  I couldn't help myself.  I asked her why she would want to hang that on her wall at Christmas when there was someone who could make her a REAL quilt (me and my big mouth).  Well, she allowed as how the argument had some validity.  And so, I was committed to the project.  I had previously purchased the pattern Peace by Paris Bottman after seeing a finished sample at a quilt show. So it seemed that it might be a good time to make it. Now, it's finished and ready to mail.
And, hopefully, my sister-in-law will think about the back story when she hangs it on the wall--the back story of going to a craft show with her daughter and sister-in-law on the day after Thanksgiving--a day when she saw a lot of wonderful things made in America by real people with faces that gave depth and meaning to the things she purchased.  And, hopefully, she will like the quilt that offers the prayer for peace in our time.

1 comment:

Corky said...

You've gone and given away the best secret about visiting any kind of show - turn left when entering. We do that all the time. I often wonder if in the UK everyone automatically goes to the left because they drive on the left - so we'd need to turn right...