Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Friday, November 14, 2008

And Yet Another Progress Report


I've been home by myself for a few days and have really been using the time in my studio. I've been working on Christmas gifts (can't show them yet!) and on my applique quilt. And this is how far I've gotten at this point. I've added more applique and a border. I am constantly amazed at my husband's innate intuitive ability to know whether a new component will work or not. I had originally made a paper-pieced (Ugh) tone on tone block for the outside border. He took one look at it and said, "No." He pointed out that with all the curved lines in the applique, the sharp edges of the paper-pieced block were jarring. And while he was at it, he also said that I needed some kind of floral fabric in the border.
Well, I listened--as I ALWAYS do (yeh)--and decided he was right. I softened the block and added the floral and really am much happier.
And this is what I want to point out as a life lesson. In so many facets of our lives, we often are too close to the situation to have clarity of vision and it is many times helpful if we hear what someone else has to say. We don't have to follow that person's advice but it is at least good to hear other options that, hopefully, allow us to step back for a moment and view a given situation from another perspective. Does it always work? No! But sometimes, sometimes.

And at our Guild last night, we had the delight of hearing Ellen Anne Eddy and seeing her wonderful art quilts. One of the great things about her talk was that she was interesting to listen to whether you like art quilting or not. Her humor was infectious and brought many a laugh from all of us there. I'm taking her class on Saturday and am really looking forward to some Thread Magic!

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

JUDY

I really like what you have done with your applique quilt. Has it not warranted a name yet? I have to agree with you that our speaker was very infectious. I can hardly wait to be in class on Saturday. have to admit it is a bit intimidating to say the least. I hope to at least get the technique down. Jeanne

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Jeanne. I usually have a name by this point, but it's eluding me so far this time. It'll come. I'm sure we'll all have a great time tomorrow. And if we come away with a new technique, that's more than enough!

Jeanne said...

JUDY

When I look at the applique quilt The first thing that comes to my mind is a Weather Vane, on top of a barn. Don't ask why, I don't know but the designs outside of the center also form directions as well N,NE,E, SE,S, ETC.

Corky said...

I love how this quilt is coming together.

KK said...

WOW! And I agree with Jeanne - weathervanes.

Judy Heyward said...

Thank you both for making me look at it is a different way! I'll have to think about it.