Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Just Around The Corner

Christmas really is just around the corner and, as usual, I'm not ready. BUT, I'm working on it! So many of us this year are really having to watch our pennies--myself included-- and I've taken this into account as I think about what to give as presents. Actually, I have always enjoyed making presents as I feel they are more of an expression from the heart than, say, a gift card from Barnes and Noble (although I wouldn't mind getting one from there myself!). But I truly think that we have lost--more and more--the true spirit of giving during the Holiday season. And maybe not just the spirit of giving--maybe even more, the spirit of RECEIVING. So many of us want the newest, jazziest gadget and don't have much room to appreciate something handmade that doesn't meet that criteria.
Well, handmade it is this year--out of necessity--and, you know what? I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I just finished making this wool pillow tonight and the best part is that it is made from recycled wool fabric. We have a wonderful thrift shop in North Charleston where I shop not only for clothes for myself, but also for wool clothes to take apart, felt and use in sewing projects. Even some of the beads on the snow people are from my mother's old bead necklace. Something old made new again.
The pattern came from The Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Crafts magazine. There are a lot of nice projects in this issue. There are several wool pillows, but also a lot of projects that are primitive and others that are made from paper and fabric. There are a couple of autumn projects also that look like they would be fun to do . . .some other time.
One thing we have done for the past few Christmases is to give donations to Families Helping Families. My sister-in-law's family does this also and we count it as giving to each other. It lifts all of our hearts and as we, in some measure, make certain that those who have less than we do will have a blessed Christmas, the true spirit comes into our lives and WE are the ones who are blessed.
One last note: As my husband and I were walking this afternoon, we stopped to visit with our 89 year old neighbor. He took us into his house and showed us all of the wooden clocks he has built over the past thirty years. What a collection! And he is still going at it. He was in the middle of making a walnut wall clock and it was such fine work. I just hope that when I get to be 89 years old, I'll still be making quilts.

4 comments:

Corky said...

Cute pillow Judy! You'll have to clue me in on the thrift shop in North Chas.

Jeanne said...

I love that snowman pillow. I will have to look for the magazine.
to get some other ideas as well. Too, much on my plate I fear to start any new projects, but maybe I will get to finish a few before Christmas. I have always loved making gifts for Christmas, especially when the kids were young, but now I have 7 Gkids to make for. Isn't life wonderful how it circles back again to give us even more pleasure. Trying to feel blessed and thankful, despite present circumstances. God is Good ALL THE TIME!!! Jeanne

KK said...

OK, Judy - Corky and I want to go shopping with you!

Judy Heyward said...

Anytime!