Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Snow Family Again--In Camden, SC

Yesterday, I traveled to Camden, SC to once again teach my Snow Family quilt. What a great bunch of women and how wonderful it was to spend a day with them. We had the class in the Fine Arts Center there and not only was it a wonderful, airy space in which to work, it was also an historic building with many historically preserved details.
Let me tell you, these women were ready! They had bought their patterns ahead of time and had done all of the prep work so that they could really move forward on class day. And work, they did--with great humor and conviviality. They are used to being together and sew projects regularly. I enjoyed hearing about their guild projects, their trips to other places (quilting related, of course) and about the Camden area, in general.
Here are some of the quilts from yesterday:

This particular quilt was very interesting because of the sky background. She had had the tree fabric for quite a while and decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to use it. I agree! The first technique I teach in the class in the curved seam landscape--joining sky to snow. So you have to decide what will go with what BEFORE you actually put the pieces on the background. She took a risk and it was successful.
This next one used some of the sky fabric I brought with me that I had used in my sample. I really like the "feel" of this sky because it sort of gives the sense of the cold of winter.

And this next one used the same sky pattern in a different color way. Look how far she got--she even has the "Welcome" sign in place.




And then we have the "early
dawn" effect with the next sky.
And, finally, a very "cheery" snow family with brightly-colored fabrics. There were several other quilts that were almost to the same completion stage but weren't fused down enough to have their makers hold them up for picture-taking. They ALL did such a great job and I loved it that they all chose such different color palettes. Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished quilts.
Thanks, ladies, for such a wonderful day.

2 comments:

KK said...

Wow, Judy - two great classes in one week! I've been in the Fine Arts center in Camden and it is a wonderful place. I love Camden - so much history and a nice downtown area. All it needs is a quilt shop! My parents lived near there when they moved to SC in 1984 so I've spent a lot of time in that area. I'm glad you had such wonderful classes.

Jeanne said...

JUDY
Great job! You must miss the snow! Not me, what cute quilts for the Holiday season. Keep up the good work. I haven't done a thing since retreat. In a rut I guess, hopefully I will dig myself out this week. My machine is calling my name and I keep ignoring her. See ya at guild. Jeanne