Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Another Progress Report

Here is the latest work on one of my ongoing projects. I finished the blanket stitching around the 4 square sections and then designed, appliqued and blanket stitched the center section. Now I have to wait for the next step to come to me. A friend asked me today how I envision these steps in creating a quilt--do I just get a "feeling" or do I actually "see" what comes next. What I explained to her was that I get my best ideas while I'm walking by myself. I don't use an IPod anymore--for several reasons (1) They're bad for your hearing and I can't afford to lose anymore than I have to. (2) I can't hear bicycles coming up behind me and (3) It is in the silence of my mind that ideas come to me. I can't tell you how often it is that I return from my walk and say to my husband, "I had this idea . . ." and he starts groaning because it is going to involve him doing something! However, in addition to thinking up things for him to do, I very often am struck by an inspiration for my quilting--and it is most often a concrete image that I try to get on paper as soon as I get home so I don't lose it. I read somewhere that we think better when we stand but I think we also think better and are more open to creativity when we aren't bombarded by noise--at least that is what works for me.
On a completely different subject: Do you think it knew its days were numbered?
We have a maple tree in our yard that was slated to be cut down as soon as my husband was back in shape enough to do it. My mother-in-law planted it a while back but she also planted an oak tree about the same time--as well as a river birch-- and they are now all competing with each other. We did cut the birch down but it wasn't enough. So . . .it was the maple's turn to be returned to the earth from which it came. Until this past week. I swear it knew--it just had to have--and what did it do? Well, it put on its best suit of clothes and said, "How could you POSSIBLY do that to me. Look how beautiful I am." Well, it was right--how could we cut down a tree that worked so hard to bring us this beautiful show in the lowcountry? It never had looked so nice before. . . .maybe the weather conditions were perfect this year. I don't know. But this little tree will stay on to live another year. We will just trim the branches of the large trees surrounding it and give thanks for this totally unexpected autumn glory.

2 comments:

Corky said...

I'm glad your little tree 'spoke' up with its beautiful fall colors. I miss the fall colors from my native Michigan (but I don't miss the subsequent snows!)

Jeanne said...

Judy

your applique quilt is coming along great. Can't wait to see what ideas your next walk produces. Thetree is a wonderful manifestation of God beauty at work in our lives. It is said if one never heard of our Lord, the beauty and majesty of his creation alone is enough to know that he exists!! Jeanne