Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I Was Potted!

In my former life (at least one of them) I was a fulltime functional potter. I made hundreds of mugs, thousands of mini-vases and countless minibaskets (which were my trademark). I made lots of other things, too, and generally enjoyed it. Like most A-type personalities, I took a nice hobby and made it into a business. I really enjoyed the people that I met--the shopowners and the customers at craft fairs--and learned a lot about pleasing myself versus keeping up with the current market demand. Fortunately for me, they didn't often come into conflict because I think that with any craft--or art--you need to be true to yourself and your personal vision and the rest will follow. Every so often, I would throw some porcelain clay and carve into the pots--almost always flowers. It fed the soul while filling the coffers with mug sales! And other times, I would push the envelope on my strength and skills. These pitchers are an example of that (sorry about the less-than-good photography). The taller pitcher is 17" high and was made in 2 sections. When I picked it up to photograph just now, I was surprised at the heft of it. I guess I used to be a lot stronger than I am now.
My hands eventually gave out and I was facing some fairly serious surgery--and so, I quit. After manually moving literally tons of clay and then tons of finished pots, my husband requested that in my next life could I please be a jeweler. Well, quilts aren't quite as light as jewelry but, for me, creating a quilt that expresses my inner vision is just about as good as it gets.

No comments: